Asparagus-Stuffed Chicken with Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
- 4 slices uncured bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 (4-6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 spears asparagus, trimmed
- ¼ cup sliced Greek or kalamata olives (optional)
- 4 slices muenster, provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 1-pound fingerling potatoes, halved
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Heat a large oven-safe skillet or stove-top casserole dish to medium heat. Add the bacon and cook 8-10 minutes or until crispy, stirring occasionally. Use a slotted spoon to remove from the pan and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside. Drain the bacon grease from the pan.
While the bacon cooks, cut a pocket into the side of each chicken breast, being careful not to cut all the way through. Season all sides of the chicken breast with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, ½ teaspoon salt and black pepper. Open the pocket of each chicken breast and tuck in a slice of cheese, 3 spears of asparagus, crumbled bacon and a spoonful of olives (if using).
Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to the same pan and bring to medium-high heat. Once hot, carefully add the stuffed chicken breasts and sear 3-4 minutes on the top side or until browned and crisp. Flip the chicken. Add the potatoes and toss with the remaining olive oil at the bottom of the pan. Season the potatoes with the remaining salt. Place the pan in the oven and cook 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees and the potatoes are just fork tender.
Remove from the oven and let rest 5 minutes. Remove the toothpicks. Serve.
This recipe was created by Julie of The Gourmet RD. Source: michiganasparagus.org