Happy National Farmer’s Day!
October 12th is National Farmer’s Day, and we want to extend a special thank you to all farmers across the world along with the grower owners of Cherry Central, that work so hard to feed and supply our nation. We hope the farming community can take a rest from their hard labor to join in the celebration of this holiday.
Without our farmers, we would lack the food and materials our country needs to succeed. Before seeds are even planted farmers supply a stream of jobs. From marketing, tourism, and manufacturing, farmers keep small and large communities going strong and are vital assets to our economy.
While thanking a farmer is one way to celebrate the day, we encourage any kind of growth here at Cherry Central, whether it is growth in the ground or through learning. Here are other ways National Calendar Day recommends you can celebrate this holiday:
- Learn more about the farm to table process.
- Discover more about all the foods you consume.
- Attend small-town festivals. These often showcase the food and culture of farm life. By supporting the festivals, you’re also supporting the farmer and their communities.
- Support local farmers. How?
- Buy fruits and vegetables from a farmer’s market.
- Another way to support local farmers is by investing in cooperative farming.
- Visit pick your own farms. These farms not only offer fresh fruits and vegetables but hands-on experience harvesting. While you’re not using equipment, you will get to enjoy an afternoon with friends and family. It’s also an educational experience, too.
- Other fun and educational farm experiences are found at pumpkin patches. These farm settings offer a wide variety of activities full of autumn produce often grown locally. When you show your support for your farmers, you also support your community.
- Visit your local small-town historical societies. Not only do they record the history of the town, but with it the history of the farmers who helped to build the foundations of small-town America.